Photo Archive - Cromford to Ambergate
This photo gallery shows a number of the images within the FCC archives picturing the canal between Cromford and Ambergate. More images can be seen on the next page. Please note that the galleries are due to be updated in the near future to use a better viewing system.
Click on any of the images to see a larger version.
Leawood Aqueduct caused Jessop problems when he was building it and it delayed the opening of the canal until 1794. In the 1960s, before it was lined with plastic sheeting, it used to leak - which was particularly noticeable in winter. (photo - Frank Rodgers)
Cromford in the 1980's. The vessels shown are as follows (nearest first): Smalley excavator mounted on purpose-built (by Smalley) pontoon with hydraulic stabilisers; The Duchess (now being used for coal by the pump group); in the distance the bows of John Gray, the horse drawn trip boat
A well-dressed school group early in the 20th century pose on the swing bridge across Wigwell aqueduct at Leawood
Looking down to the railway aqueduct at Leawood, with a double headed diesel-hauled passenger train heading north, the first engine being a Western Region Hymek - well off its usual stamping ground. (Photo - Geoffrey Sheldon)
Our Archivist, Hugh Potter, says of this picture: "This image is a really exciting find, as it is a very sharp copy of an old print of Robin Hood, the hamlet between Whatstandwell and Gregory Tunnel. The site was a stone saw mills, built there presumably because of its proximity to Duke's Quarries (which supplied gritstone for the construction of several well-known buildings in London) and the water power offered by the stream which runs through the hamlet before passing under the canal by a deep culvert. On a map of 1811, a Stone Wharf is shown, but no buildings. The original cast iron windows can be seen on the lower floor of the main building to the left. A steam engine was once installed here, but is thought never to have operated, possibly because of the stone traffic transferring from canal to railway. The canal is narrower now than it was, and the workshop to right that is no longer there."